Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Trains, Trannies, Travelers and Tags

Ah, the people you meet on the train.

Yesterday, it was Tuala. She saw me walking the terrier off, and warned me of the $65 fine I could face by no longer carrying the clever, yet heavy, wheeled dog case. I told her I'd try and talk my way out... she said she'd told the officer she was HIV positive, and broke..but, that didn't work. She went on to tell me how becoming HIV had changed her life, she'd gotten clean, went back to school at 23 and got her GED, then a certificate that let her work as a secretary, and was working 20 hours a week at an accountants office so she could still qualify for Medicare. She had days she couldn't work, but, still got up and got dressed. Many of her friends had died already, and the best thing she'd done was get clean, and find Jesus.

Her parents wouldn't talk to her still... it was the transsexual thing she had going on.

With that last note, this drop dead beautiful woman waved good-bye and turned on Canal towards Chinatown.

I should look so good.

Tonight, I went to the 13th Street Repertory Company, to see Fifth Floor Walkup.... a collection of monologues and two one act plays by some very good playwrights. There are hits and misses, with the bulk running on the former part. I'm not a reviewer, and either way, it's to save a great place....it's a cheap ticket, $14.00... I'll go back, if nothing else to see their run of just found Tennessee Williams one act plays.

On the long, local ride home... I started chatting to the girl next to me when she had her petting time with the terrier...she was an exchange student who had finished her photography degree at NYU, and would be working for the summer. When she left her seat, a man sat down, and started to chat with me. His sister joined in, and lo and behold! she was the costumer for the big theater company in our little town in Utah! woot. We know a number of the same folk, we discussed the famous toupee, and had a good laugh about how small the world really is.

It was a long day, filled with vet visits for the poodle, office spaces looked at, lists crossed off, a play, an apartment visited, and a long local train ride made better by good company.

Oh, and it was the "Look for the clothesline tag!" slogan I played Heaven Beck for.....now, I've got to find out what happened to the company.

I'll wait until tomorrow, though. Tonight, I've more apartment letters to write... in 10 days, I'm homeless.

Again.

No comments: