Monday, July 28, 2008

Men~What Are You Like?

I was confined to bed last week for a few days.

Nothing huge, just told to stay in bed. Now, bed is boring when you don't have anything to do. I would make a fast dash to the theater, check on props, adjust a set dressing or two.... our shows opened to standing ovations, and they are going well... then, back home. Nothing exciting, not a single person to gaze upon to write about, the cat spends her time watching me sleep and practicing her "Wait until she dies so I can eat her eyes first" skills by licking my eyelids.

This scares me some.

I finally broke down, and sent an email to the Oddship, whining as only I can whine, "I'm siiiick. I'm stuck in beeeeeddddd. I have nothing to dooooooo." I went on to say I'd read all my books, watched my DVD's, no TV yet, no internet, nothing... and, I mentioned I'd watched a pirated film and that no one would bring me lemonade with grenadine and chipped ice (this is from a scene in "Diary of a Mad Housewife". If Miss Sof reads this blog entry, she will laugh).

Now, I opened this letter with, "I'm on forced bedrest for a few days."

This, to a woman, would send flags of concern, the letter would then go, blah blah blah blah.

The response I had from him, a minute later, was, "pirating a film is stealing". He read the mail and saw: blah blah blah PIRATED FILM blah blah blah.

What is it with men?? I understand he works in films and stuff, but, still... I was pathetic.. so much so, I bored myself.

So, men, explain.... why latch onto the PIRATED FILM and ignore the "I'm ill" when a woman would latch onto the important thing, "You are ill, poor sweetie, let me cook chicken soup and mail it to you."

I await your responses.

A man had read my letter

14 comments:

vinny said...

From my perspective, he found you annoying, going at him on how bored you are.

Or

He's trying to be sarcastic. An odd response with the intent to make you smile.

I'd bet on option-A however. Simply cos, I'm a man.

Cormac Brown said...

Give that man an empathy pill, stat.

Email me with your favorite genres and I'll hook you up with some books.

Prince Gomolvilas said...

This is a post about a cat.

austere said...

Congratulations on the ovations.


Better now?

Anonymous said...

Maybe he's aware that the MPAA are suing people for downloading movies and such, and he's trying to protect you?

golfwidow said...

Sometimes I get very weird comments from people who simply don't know what to say about the main theme of my email or post, so they latch onto the one phrase that did strike a chord with them.

Anonymous said...

Hi Quin:

Sorry that you are not feeling well. Hope that you are better soon.

I'm back in Wisconsin at my home for another week yet, then back down to the coast.

Take care!

Peter Varvel said...

You'll have to forgive my differing chromosomes as well, but the phrase I'm latching onto is you making "a fast dash to the theater, (to) check on props, (and) adjust a set dressing or two" AFTER being told to stay in bed?!!
Dude, WTF?!!

Yeah, there were some raised eyebrows and wagging tongues when a mom hosted an outdoor movie viewing for the neighborhood kids, recently, out on her driveway with the garage door as the screen . . . of the Disney/Pixar film Wall*E.

Oh. I mean, You poor dear. Let me make you a hot cup of herbal tea and mail myself serving it to you.
Feel better soon!

Bud said...

Don't ask me. I'm NOT that guy. I can't explain it. I'm sure there are better guys than that on the planet.

Loobell said...

Got huge giggles at Diary of a Mad housewife reference.... One of my favourite films of all time.......

"How about a little ole roll in the hay?" (not an offer to those not in the know.. a quote from the film which always makes me giggle)

Re Oddship... Well.. you gotta know that was going to be the response. Let's face it he has never been big on sympathy; it comes between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.....Say no more!

I know you hate being confined to bed. There will have been a reason for this. So you are very naughty miss Quin in getting up and going out! You know however, I would have been making you chicken soup and home made bread and bringing you appropriate drugs... but then I am woman......

Get better soon.. I hope to speak very soon. Love and miss my sister
X

the Constantly Dramatic One said...

Dude seriously. You're sick in bed and he makes noise about how you watch a pirated movie? Really?

Damn that man need some sensivity training.

Anonymous said...

"So you have something to look at while you are talking to them!"

.....
"So you have something to look at while you are talking to them!"

...
"So you have something to look at while you are talking to them!"


Sorry, sensitivity training always brings Family Guy to mind for some reason....

What was the question again?

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

Men like movies, so if there is some reference to movies in the middle of a bunch of other stuff we don't like.....we are going to talk about movies. If you wrote about beer, sports, or sex....I bet he would have written a longer reply.

btw...not all men suck, just most. We are sadly consistent!

quin browne said...

men.

loved all the responses, it is all about they don't see the same things we do..

and zen?

laughed. like. mad.