Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Can't Write, Don't Ask Me

I quit writing.

I'm not sure when or why, I simply quit the process of putting down my thoughts and ideas and the world that lives in my head... it all ground to a halt. I find pieces of paper with a word here or a phrase there, and I've no idea what I was going for or what I meant to say or why I even wrote that word or phrase. I'm not deep in the dumps or upset, I am simply caught up in a place of white noise and no inspiration, is all I can think.

I love Six Sentences.... I can't even compose six words.

There is the continuing feeling I am on the cusp of something... that I am waiting to tip over the edge of a big change in my life, and I have to save all my words for that to happen.

Or, I'm simply out of words to say. (I can hear everyone who knows me laughing there).

I go for a day at a time, not speaking.... listening to whatever it is God is telling me, wondering if he can get past the clutter that is in my head... all the babble and confetti and scraps of ideas and thoughts and left over mish mash that constitutes my interior world.

Or, is all of that his answers to my questions?

10 comments:

vinny said...

What does it feel like to have so much that you want to say, yet you can't have them as coherent thoughts, and can't find any meaningful way to express them?

I'm not sure if that's what you meant on the post. But that's what I got out of it.. and how I am, most of the time.

Anonymous said...

You seem to be saying stuff just fine. :)

austere said...

Just write. "No" to that internal editor.

harrietv said...

You're busy right now; it happens. When all the busyness is done, you'll start to write again.

Take it from someone who has lo-o-ong periods of silence, followed by periods of "why can't I type faster?"

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

I often jot down things throughout the day, but by nighttime those moments have passed and I'm just left with words on paper. When I can capture what I meant...that is what matters, the other times are just filler.

Cormac Brown said...

It sounds like your new surroundings lack the same amount of stimuli that the NYC gave you.

Take a crack at some flash fiction or simply go to one spot, pick someone or something out and try to write a short bio.

inflammatory writ said...

This was writing, you know. Writing about not writing is still writing!

And thank you for the good wishes! <3 Its been a rollercoaster, that's for sure.

Peter Varvel said...

I'm not worried.
We all need our own Quiet, at times. We all need times of 'deepening' as L'Engle wrote in 'A Wind in the Door.'

Alone on the Isle said...

There is nothing wrong with a little white noise now and again. . . . try and enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

I just returned to writing (and blogging) after a hiatus. It's good to shut down the shop for a while and see what else is out there.