Monday, March 19, 2007

Slogans, Spaces and Spareribs

Too many things on the mind today, including forgetting the slogan I saw on a building above me on White Street.

I'd wanted to look it up, the advertising on this area where some of the construction was done in 1866, or so the masons who put the brickwork together wrote into the scrolled tops when they finished their labours.

This means tomorrow, inbetween going about looking for office space and walking dogs and running errands, I'll be like Heaven Beck in The Tontine, with my head tipped upwards as I walk, scanning for the faded sheet flapping on a line, and the elusive advertising logo that slips to the front of my memory, then slides back before I can grasp it.

I now know what the magic 8 ball feels like.

My current assignment is to find office space off Union Square. I'm learning the route of the R train these days. I meet with young men who have shoes that cost more than my entire ensemble, we shake hands, they hand me a card and look for mine.

I smile.

I smile a lot here.

I shake their hand and introduce myself, "Yes, I'm DR's PA. Please don't contact her anymore on this matter, I'm choosing the space. Now, let's go look."

If they have a limp handshake, I'm done with them.

It's amusing in some ways..... I'm walking around expensive office spaces in my jeans and cowboy boots, taking notes, looking nothing like what they think someone who can afford this kind of space should look.

A wealthy, very wealthy, friend of mine told me years ago...never judge money by the clothes.

They need to learn that.

Silly boys.

The R train is different from the A, not as crowded, different music in the station on Canal. Our guy plays drums. This man had slabs of ribs on his legs, and slapped them and the ribs and sang. I gave him money because any person who would put pork on his legs to use as a musical instrument earns my respect. I imagine they were quite tender by the time he got home to cook them for dinner.

Words typed remain text, delicate, worrisome, missing the changes a voice gives... we use them because we have no other at times. And, they are far, far better than silence.

No comments: