Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sometimes, The Heavens Still

You've got to pay attention to the A train.

I found that out when I ended up on the wrong end of the line. This made me late for my appointment with my perspective new employer. Thankfully, she was okay with my delay, and I walked down W. Broadway into SoHo... unable to find her address.

That's because she's not on W. Broadway.

Never get an address from an employee who is quitting in a disgruntled fashion. It could be worse, she could have shown her pique by shooting people rather than giving me a wrong address. I can live with a fifteen block walk over a dance with an Uzi.

There I am, on the corner of a different section of town. And, praise sweet mary, there is an elevator. I'm in love already.

We end up spending three hours talking and laughing and realising we may just like each other. She has two dogs and a bad taste in her mouth from her last PA. He left her very loved dogs in the flat for two days, unfed, and without water. She came home from visiting her father to find, well, not a pretty sight.

Now, I have this really nice, stable, smart woman to work for who has the perfect job for me... letting me organise her amazing flat.

I may be orgasmic.

She says the magic words... "Sure, do what you want, move furniture, I need a new couch, new faucet, you can clear out cabin...." at this point, white noise is in my head. My pulse speeds up. I feel flushed. My eyes dart about... books, cabinets, clothing to sort by colour and season and colour within season. Dishes, a 'fridge, a bathroom.... sweet lord, I think my panties are damp.

I try and focus on her words... "....so, if you need something, check out the big stuff with me, buy it, and give me the receipt.". I'd sob, but, I want her to think I'm normal. ish.

I get to flatsit. I get to dogsit. I get to organise and decorate. I get to semi run someone's life.

Can it get any better??

Yes, it can. The dogs are great, a big floppy pit bull who slobbers on me and lets the terrier run him, and the ugliest poodle around, who is sweet and will fit in the dog case to be treated like the baby she is. And a woman who is my guardian angel. Who doesn't know it, but, has allowed me to find a place here, to be me again.

Thank you for that.

Sometimes, the Heavens still, and a prayer wings it's way to the ears of the Master of the Universe. I am not going to question my luck, I don't ever question luck, good or bad. I will give thanks, though.

I'm thinking about it again, and yes... yes... yes.... definitely orgasmic. Best I can do after ten years without a date.


That in itself is sad, isn't it?


Heh.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Has it really been 10 years? :)

Sounds like the perfect job, just think, it could have been the boss from 'The Devil wears Prada'!

quin browne said...

Sadly, yes...things have closed up, I think. I hear, though, it's like riding a bike... I wonder if I have to use training wheels?