Thursday, April 5, 2007

Crowds

It was during my daily walk with the dogs that I had my run in with the aforementioned dogwalker... the walk we take after we've dropped off the poodle to snooze and dream of days when she wasn't guided by my voice or the smells in the air.

We head down West Broadway, into SoHo, past the swanky shops... what a great word, swanky... and cruise past Spring, into the deep areas where the rich play and the tourists come to gaze about, in hopes of seeing someone famous, I suppose.

In a few weeks, the Tribeca Film Festival will be up and running... the area will be swamped with the LA crowd, the directors and producers and backers and the...*gasp*...actors. Our little shop where I buy my Crunchie bar will become crowded at 3, when I go in, people picking over the salad bar. Good news for the proprietors, bad news for me.

It should be about me. heh.

Our walk down beyond the Coach store, the turn around and back past the SoHo Grand will no longer be as leisurely. The pit bull will have to struggle to reach every tree...I'm starting to think he has diabetes, to tell the truth. By the time we reach the Grand, no stopping and chatting with the doormen, who usually scratch both dogs and have a few words for me. They will be busy opening and shutting the doors of private cars and limos and the big front doors of the hotel itself.... good tips for them, and we are part of the peon crowd.

It's only a week, then things are back to normal, the deli is calm, the sidewalks are thinned out, the doormen are again easy going and smiling when we saunter past.

Only a week.

Then, it's tourist season.... you've gotta love New York.